Documenting our disastrous move from leafy north London to the grungy south...

Sunday 9 June 2013

Vege patch havoc

I have the opposite of a green thumb, it's brown. Yet I strangely love being out in my garden pottering about.

This weekend after planting some bulbs and then weeding my mint patch I got carried away and moved onto the larger, raised, overgrown sandpit/garden bed. It was previously a covered sandpit (complete with discarded sand toys) but after years of neglect it was covered with weeds, debris and was a big eyesore.

So I cleared it all off, rescued some plastic cows and then took a trip to Homebase for a LOT of compost. I tried not to go too overboard on the plants, and asked my wise younger sister, who has a green thumb, what to grow. She suggested tomatoes, and told me to plant marigolds next to them and also basil. So I got all of that, plus two strawberry plants. I later read you can't plant strawberries and tomatoes together, so they've gone into two pots on the edge of the garden bed.

See my weekends efforts below... and I'll report back in a few weeks... but only if:
a) the fox hasn't eaten everything
and 
b) if the plants are still alive, and I'm eating gorgeous tomato and basil salads with strawberries for dessert!


a vast improvement from a weed covered sandpit!

No comments:

Post a Comment